One of my on-again, off-again projects is The Official Calendar of the Republic, in which I’m trying to gather all the various national, provincial, and municipal holidays, past and present, in one place, along with the statutes that provide(d) for them. I’d appreciate any help from readers.
1. Holidays by legislative fiat, whether national, provincial, or municipal. Please provide the details (e.g. Republic Act ____, passed on [date])
2. Holidays and commemorations by executive issuance (event, duration, number of the executive issuance, usually a Presidential Proclamation or Executive Order, the President who issued it and the date). This applies to past (and thus lapsed) commemorations.
3. Holidays and commemorations by provincial statute.
Please add a comment below, if you know of any.
Every reader of this blog helps me out, because visitors are tracked by PajamasMedia, etc. But there are some readers who very generously decide to give me something directly. A reader once gave me a lifetime membership to LibraryThing. Another reader always gives me a book or two every New Year, most lately some books by John Lukacs.
Since this year I turn 38, and hope springs eternal, here’s my birthday and Christmas wishlist for 2008.
1. A CueCat Barcode Scanner.
2. A Flickr Pro Account.
3. A TimeFlyer registration code.
(Thank you to Adam Behringer, developer of Bee Doc’s Timeline, for the complimentary copy of the program!!!)
4. Anything at all from My Amazon.com Wishlist. In particular, The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580, Opposing Suharto: Compromise, Resistance, And Regime Change In Indonesia, A More Perfect Constitution: 23 Proposals to Revitalize Our Constitution and Make America a Fairer Country, Britain and Indian Nationalism: The Imprint of Amibiguity 1929-1942, American Visions of the Netherlands East Indies/Indonesia: US Foreign Policy and Indonesian Nationalism 1920-1949, or The Cambridge History of Southeast Asia: Volume 2, The Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries.